Regional Biodiversity Support Officer - Fixed Term 18 Months
- Total Remuneration Package $102,000 - $110,000 depending on skills & experience.
- Learning & Development opportunities
- Other conditions as outlined in the Local Government (State) Award.
- Fixed Term 18 Month Arrangement
About the business and the role
Bellingen Shire Council, located on the Mid North coast of NSW is seeking to engage a suitably qualified Officer to work with our member Councils to provide support to, and build capacity of staff to transition to the new legislative environment created by the NSW Biodiversity Conservation Reforms. The Regional Support Officer would service the member councils of Mid North Coast Regional Organisation of Councils (MIDROC), in addition to the member councils of the Northern Rivers Regional Organisation of Councils including Clarence Valley Council.
The position will facilitate delivery of the Office of Environment & Heritage's (OEH) capacity building project to support local governments to implement the reforms. The position will actively liaise with Councils to understand their specific needs to effectively transition to the new arrangements and, utilising the materials developed by OEH implement a program to support Councils to meet the new legislative obligations.
This role requires someone who understands and is familiar with the operations of the NSW Biodiversity Conservation Reforms, can build effective relationships with Council Officers, can evaluate Councils' readiness for transition to the new legislative environment, and deliver appropriate tailored and targeted support to Councils to implement the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016.
The position is a contract role and has been created through funding provided by OEH and the Office of Local Government. The successful candidate will be required to adhere to Bellingen Shire Council's internal policies and will report directly to the General Manager, Bellingen Shire Council.
The successful candidate will be required to travel to various locations across the Mid North Coast region as part of the role.
Essential skills and experience:
- Tertiary qualifications in environmental/natural resource management, environmental/land use planning or equivalent
- Understanding of the role of local government with respect to the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979 & Biodiversity Conservation legislation & policy
- Experience in biodiversity impact assessment
- Strong project planning &management skills, ability to prioritise &manage workloads & budgets to ensure delivery within specified timeframes
- Ability to work independently, & to exercise initiative & problem solving skills
- Demonstrated high level of personal motivation
- Ability to examine and reflect on own performance & implement changes to program delivery when opportunities are identified for improvement
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to liaise appropriately with internal & external partners & stakeholders through verbal & written communication methods
- Skills in preparing (including writing content) of guidance &communication resources, including professional guidelines, training resources, & communication / engagement materials
- Ability to review & translate technical & complex information (including legislation) concisely for diverse audiences
- Skills in organising, delivering & documenting outcomes from meetings, forums & workshops, including the delivery of formal presentations & facilitation of workshop activities
- Excellent word processing skills & competence with various software packages, including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience
- Class C NSW Drivers licence
- Ability & willingness to travel
For more detailed information, download the position description ("PD") which includes the position criteria, tasks and responsibilities for this role..
Enquiries: Anthony Caulfield (02) 6655 7300
Please include a Covering Letter that addresses the selection criteria in the attached Position Description.